Wednesday, December 1, 2010

SNOW: Pros & Cons

It started to snow just a tiny bit last night (apparently, that is called a flurry... you learn something new every day). This morning, it really picked up. It was a nice way to bring in December my first year in Illinois. Although, I had two very opposite reactions...


Reaction 1: Happiness. I cranked up the Christmas music, turned on my lit wreath, lit an apple cinnamon candle, and got to work putting up Christmas decorations. It really felt like the holiday season seeing the snow from my window as I decorated.

Reaction 2: Sadness/Panic. The cold weather slowly crept up on me, so I got used to it. Seeing snow made the fact that I am 2,000 miles away from California abundantly clear. Somehow the snow made it real. Then visions of putting on 10 layers of clothing, scraping my windshield, and constantly scanning for black ice every time I drive popped into my head. I had a few errands to run today, but I decided to stay in to make Christmas cards and decorate the house. There was barely any snow (just a light dusting)... it was the idea of it that bothered me. I just need a little time to get familiar with driving in snow (I really am not a fan of change... it freaks me out) and I will be fine.

I think I'll enjoy the snow from inside for now. I'm going to have Mike give me a lesson in Driving in Snow 101 and I know I will feel much more confident!

No comments:

Post a Comment