Thursday, November 18, 2010

Disney Kid

Growing up, I was what you would call a Disney Kid. I lived for all things Disney. Short films, feature films, toys, stuffed animals, clothes, and best of all... trips to Disneyland! When I reminisce about my childhood, chances are the particular memory I am recalling has something to do with Disney. Going to Disneyland triggers some sort of magical childhood nostalgia. That was the case when I went for my birthday last year anyway. As Mike and I were leaving the park after a fun-filled day, I pleaded with him to stop in a gift shop. Mike is not really into Disneyland to begin with, but he had been a sport all day. I practically skipped into the shop as Mike dragged his feet behind me.

Immediately upon entering the shop, my gaze fell upon the wall of dvds. As I scanned the covers, I kept getting this strange feeling. I kept experiencing this tightness in my chest. It was... nostalgia. I realized that I KNEW these cartoons from my childhood. Every cover set off another memory. Mike and I had agreed that as part of my birthday gift, I would bring home 2 dvds. All these memories were flooding in at once... how could I pick just 2? 20 minutes and one annoyed husband later, I made my decision. I chose the ones that I remembered most vividly from my childhood: Mickey and the Beanstalk & The Tortoise and the Hare.


image via amazon.com

image via amazon.com

image via amazon.com

image via amazon.com


Ever since rediscovering those key elements of my happy childhood, I've been on a mission to collect all of them. Maybe I should correct my first statement... I AM a Disney Kid. Maybe it's not Mike's thing, but he already knows that our kids (and grand kids) will be Disney Kids too :)

No comments:

Post a Comment