Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Living Room Tour

A few of my friends and family members have been asking for pictures of our new house, so I thought this would be the perfect place to post pictures for everyone! I'll start with the living room since it's the only room that I feel is pretty much put together. I put the pictures in order, so this is a counter-clockwise view starting at the front door...


Here's our front door complete with a mini wreath I made last year. I definitely need a bigger wreath, which will probably happen soon since I'll be putting up Christmas decor soon!


This is the view you see once you step inside. The living room is to the immediate left. The kitchen and laundry area are just past the living room. On the left side of the hall: full bathroom & main bedroom. On the right side of the hall: entry to garage, half bathroom, Mike's office, and my craft room.


This hope chest is over 70 years old. I really wish I did not have to mess with the finish, but it definitely needs some TLC. Those cute pumpkin candle holders were given to me by my mom when I had barely any Autumn decor. She always teases me about taking them back because she misses them ;p The picture is from my trip to North Carolina years ago. It fits in perfectly with my holiday theme.


I wasn't too keen on this little window cut out when we first moved in, but I've gotten used to it. It's fun to put little decorations on it. Mike likes it for convenience. Since the kitchen is on the other side, I've passed many drinks to Mike through the little window... lazy bum ;p


Our comfy couch and my FAVORITE picture of all time. I've waited for years for that beaut! I kind of based the whole look of the living room around this picture... that's how much I love it. It's called Singing Butler by Jack Vettriano. I got it from Bed, Bath, and Beyond for just over $40 (thank you 20% off coupon)! Oh, and I have to rave about these Dwell Studio Pillows from Target for a second. It was love at first sight when I spotted them online a while ago, but I could never find them (they were previously sold out online as well). I saw 2 of them at my local Target about a month ago and nearly had a heart attack. Needless to say, I snatched them up in a hurry... I may have scared fellow customers with my enthusiasm...


The view directly across from the hope chest and TV (I had to take the flash off so there wouldn't be a glare on the picture). My friend, Susan, gave me 2 of those little wall sconces as a gift. I recently spotted them while shopping and grabbed 2 more. I think they fill in the space around the picture nicely without distracting from the picture.


Close up of the little floral arrangement I made this year (I got the flowers, container, and floral foam from Hobby Lobby for under $15... I love that place). I got those cute little pumpkins at a local craft fair a couple months ago. The table runner is a gift from my aunt (can you tell my family loves the holidays?).


The view of our messy yard (I raked it all yesterday, so it's nice and clean now).



Other side of the living room. I am always rearranging the items on the little entry table.


The entry table's current look. My friends and family may not believe this, but I got that adorable cider sign from... wait for it... Good Will. Yep, you read that correctly. I don't want to say that I am a snob when I shop, but I never pictured myself browsing the aisles of Good Will. I've been putting together a frame collage, so I got the idea to check out Good Will for cheap frames. All I need is a little black spray paint to spruce up the ones that need a little TLC. Anyway, I saw the cider sign hanging out with the frames (ha, no pun intended) and picked it up for a whopping $1.99.

So, that's the living room. While I love those little lamps with the red shades (a gift from my mom), they are pretty dim and that is our only source of light. We need to get a standing lamp or add a light to the ceiling fan. Other than that, I just need to refinish the hope chest and entry table; add a little something to the wall that is perpendicular to the painting; and I would love a new coffee table (I hate having a glass top table). My ideal table would be a big, chunky chest with lots of storage for dvds! Hopefully I will have updated pictures in a few months!

P.S. This is the first time we've lived somewhere that A) allowed us to paint & B) we would be there long enough for all the work of painting to be worth while. I surprised myself with my color selection. I picked Torchlight from Sherwin-Williams. I am definitely not afraid of color, but this one is pretty bright. My reasoning is that it will cheer me up in the gloomy winter months.

3 comments:

  1. Cute house and decorations!!! i like the color choices ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chandra! So lovely :) Brian and I love hitting up garage sales and thrift shops on the weekends. There are so many great things to be found! Speaking of a frame collage (which sounds terrific by the way)...Last week I finally found an awesome deal for a bunch of embroidery hoops (I had been carefully watching for just the right deal). I'm going to place different fabrics in them and hang them on the wall over our bed. I'm so excited for that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Ladies :)

    Susan, that is a fantastic idea! I'd like to do something like that to display my German dish towels in my kitchen. It would be a really cute idea for a nursery too!

    ReplyDelete