Friday, November 12, 2010

Fitness Friday: Routine and Gear

Recently I decided it was time to get in better shape. Of course I would be happy to lose a few pounds, but my main concern is creating and maintaining a healthy exercise pattern (especially before having children). My main goal is to build endurance and to feel strong (I know weight loss will come along with that, so that’s a plus). I joined a gym a little less than 2 months ago. I’m working on getting there 5 times a week. Sometimes that happens and sometimes it doesn’t. I’ve been pretty easy on myself and try to not beat myself up if I’m not perfect about it. I tend to have a higher success rate if I take things slower and forgive myself if I fall off the wagon a bit.

For now, I feel accomplished if I get on the treadmill for 25 minutes and do my circuit training after. It doesn't sound like much, but I know I am getting my heart rate up for a good 45+ minutes. There are 14 machines included in the circuit training and I do 3 sets of 10 on each. I feel really good about my current plan. I am being challenged just enough to feel like it’s something I can commit to 5 times a week and complete it without feeling discouraged. Once my current plan no longer feels like a challenge, I will adjust it accordingly.

It's kind of crazy, but I haven’t weighed myself again since joining the gym. Again, it would be great to lose a few pounds, but I don’t want to get caught up on a number. Instead, I want to focus on how I feel and how my body looks. So far, I have noticed slimming and more definition in my arms and legs. Most recently, I have noticed the upper part of my abs slimming down (which is a great thing, but it makes my lower abs look that much worse). I noticed feeling stronger in my back and having slightly better posture (my mom would be proud). All in all, I think I am off to a good start and feel confident that I will be successful.

Here are a few of my favorite workout items that are currently aiding me in my success:

1. Skullcandy Headphones - These babies work like a charm. They stay put when I'm running, the sound quality is fantastic, and they are pink for goodness sake! What more could you want from headphones?!

(image via Google)

2. Pandora - Music is key for me and exercise to get along. I just cannot do it without some good music. Enter Pandora. I could make new stations all day long. My go to station at the gym is based off of Daft Punk's "Harder, Better, Stronger, Faster". Normally I am not big on electronic/techno music, but it's amazing how much it motivates me in the gym! Plus, every once in a while, I will get awesomely hilarious songs on my playlist. Last week Haddaway's "What is Love" (better known as SNL's Night at the Roxbury song) popped up. Try running on a treadmill and NOT bobbing your head back and forth... nearly impossible!

(image via Google)

3. Rubbermaid Sport Bottle - I am not a coordinated person. I am also slightly uncomfortable being on treadmills to begin with. Add trying to unscrew a water bottle cap while running and it's a recipe for disaster. That's right, this 26 year old woman needs a sippy cup for gym time. Seriously, though... it's convenient and environmentally friendly since I use it over and over instead of grabbing a disposable water bottle every time ;)

(image via Google)

4. Nike Dri Fit Shirt - My new best friend!!! How did I never try this type of shirt before??? I know I'm all sweaty while working out, but I cannot really feel it when I wear this shirt. This shirt is now a MUST for me since I hate sweating. I need to go out and buy 4 more ASAP!

(image via Google)

5. Anita Sports Bra - Support is a big deal for me. I have an unusual chest size (small band size and large cup size) and cannot find a bra in my size at Victoria's Secret, etc. Typical pull over sports bras that have sizes of small, medium, or large do NOT work for me. I need a sports bra with a band size, cup size, and hooks. I have this in white and I love it. The support it provides is incredible (and that's saying a lot coming from me)!

(image via herroom.com)

6. Freya Sports Bra - quite possibly the UGLIEST bra on Earth. Really, it looks downright hideous on me, but you know what... this is the most supportive bra I've ever owned. I can confidently run and not worry about lack of support. WONDERFUL!!

(image via herroom.com)


It may sound a bit silly, but knowing I have invested in the above items makes me WANT to go to the gym more. Sure, it may be a little out of guilt (if I buy it I better darn well use it). It's a little out of excitement to use my new "toys". All I know it that it keeps me motivated to regularly go to the gym, so it's all right with me ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment